The Big Picture
Today, the closing bell will ring in Alameda schools and roughly 10,000 students will leave the school grounds. Some will go home to a parent, some will go to an after school program. But many will go it alone—and will enter the most dangerous time of the day for children. Research indicates that youth-related crime triples between 3:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. every weekday. National statistics, and daily headlines, make it clear that unsupervised children are at greater risk in the after-school hours.
Why the Alameda Boys & Girls Club?
The Alameda Boys & Girls Club is more than just a place for recreation. We provide activities and experiences that enrich the lives of young people in our community. Indeed, the quality of life we all enjoy is due, in part, to the Club’s sustained attention to the changing needs of today’s youth.
We involve young boys and girls in wholesome activities that build their self-esteem and self-worth. We teach the values of responsibility and respect. We empower children to make wise and educated life choices. In this age of teen alcohol and drug use, premarital sex, and violence, we work to help create model citizens for our future. And we give every youth the chance they deserve to have a great future by providing the tools and support they need to achieve their dreams.
About Alameda Boys & Girls Club
- Opens our doors to all kids from all schools and all backgrounds every day and evening after school, on week-ends, and during vacations and is the only facility in Alameda that provides this service.
- Continues a 62 year-old tradition of providing a safe and positive place for all youth ages 6 through 18.
- Serves over 3,000 youth in a new, state-of-the-art Youth Development Center and provides a community resource facility for everyone in Alameda.
- Engages and empowers those who need us the most: Over 40% of members are from single parent households, and over 60% come from economically-disadvantaged families.
- Supervises and administers programs in certified areas of youth development:
- Character, Leadership, Life Skills, and Career Education
- Math, Science, Reading, and Technology
- Arts and Crafts, and Performance and Digital Arts
- Sports, Recreation, and Fitness
- Gardening, Cooking, Health, and Nutrition
- Provides after-school homework help and tutoring.
- Offers free dental, vision, and medical screenings from local medical professionals and assists with access to follow-up care.
- Conducts programs on avoiding substance abuse, violence prevention, and home safety for children— and offers individual and family counseling services.
- Partners with local schools, other community youth organizations, and non-profits to ensure that our members receive the services they need most.
- Motivates kids to return to tell their success stories and to give back to the community they call “home,” by becoming mentors, coaches, volunteers, Board members, and donors.
- Enjoys a professional affiliation with the Boys and Girls Club of America, a national organization with headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia.